ErgoPad® redux hallux
For walking without pain
The ErgoPad redux hallux orthopedic orthosis is designed to provide effective conservative treatment of hallux limitus and hallux rigidus – the restriction of movement or stiffening of the metatarsophalangeal joint. The foot orthosis provides rapid relief for the painful area. The relieving effect is a result of the integrated "redux" reinforcement element, which is positioned directly underneath the metatarsophalangeal joint. It ensures a flat position of the forefoot and runs along the outer part of the ball of the foot.
- The "redux" reinforcement element provides relief in the painful area, prevents supination of the forefoot and prevents the heel from being levered out of the shoe thanks to that fact that it is tough yet elastic enough to avoid becoming stiff.
- The foot orthosis is supplied with the reinforcement element positioned for either the left or the right foot, combined with a complementary orthosis that is reduced to accommodate the reinforcing element – and of course, it can be supplied with reinforcement on both sides if required.
- Available in sizes ranging from 35 to 48 and in two widths.
The ErgoPad redux hallux orthopedic orthosis from Bauerfeind limits the movement of the metatarsophalangeal joint in the push-off phase and thus provides immediate relief during painful walking movements. To restrict movement, a reinforcement element made from high-quality, permanently flexible plastic is incorporated into the foot orthosis. This element is positioned underneath the metatarsophalangeal joint and runs along the outer forefoot area and to the tip of the big toe. The thin PU cushion layer cushions the foot and distributes forces occurring underneath the forefoot.
Designs and uses/indications
The foot orthosis is optimally adjusted to suit the symptoms of hallux limitus/hallux rigidus. The ErgoPad redux hallux can be used for conservative treatment or to supplement therapy. Wearing the foot orthosis may make it possible to successfully delay other more invasive measures such as pain medication and/or surgery. The ErgoPad redux is available in sizes ranging from 35 to 48 and two different widths to ensure fit and comfort for most people. It is designed to fit in most shoes as long as they have a removable inlay that is approximately 3-4 mm thick and is of an equivalent width. Since restrictions of movement in the metatarsophalangeal joint caused by osteoarthritis do not necessarily effect both feet at the same time, the ErgoPad redux can be supplied with the reinforcement element positioned for either the left or the right foot, combined with a complementary orthosis reduced to accommodate the reinforcing element - and of course, it can also be supplied with reinforcement on both sides if required.
Only available from medical retailers
ErgoPad redux is only available from medical retailers – e. g. orthotists. The orthotist takes all the necessary foot measurements and determines the condition of the foot using digital measurement technology or imprint foam/ blueprint, supplemented by an examination involving palpation. Following this process, the orthotist will then produce a custom-made foot orthosis, taking the relevant footwear into account.
- High-quality synthetic foot orthosis with a low construction height
- Special "redux" reinforcement element running underneath the metatarsophalangeal joint up to the outer part of the ball of the foot.
Construction of the foot orthosis
Top cover and cushion layer
- High-quality microfiber top cover containing antibacterial silver ions for optimal hygiene in the shoe
- Narrow version in beige; wide version in brown
- PU cushion layer
- Anatomically contoured pad
- Butterfly-shaped core which provides optimal support for the metatarsal area without making the orthosis too rigid.
"Redux" reinforcement element
- Provides relief for the painful area; prevents supination of the forefoot; prevents the foot from being levered out of the shoe.
- Cordura nylon – a long-lasting contact layer between the orthosis and the shoe
- Suitable for people with hallux limitus/hallux rigidus in one foot or both feet (restriction of movement or stiffening of the metatarsophalangeal joint)
Durability for long lasting effect
- The durability of the foot orthosis fundamentally depends on the load; high-quality materials ensure that the orthosis remains serviceable even after prolonged use.
High-quality materials ensure optimum effect over time.
- We recommend that the functional properties should be checked regularly (after a maximum of 6 months).
- The surfaces can be wiped clean using a mild cleaner/disinfectant
- Not machine-washable
- Do not expose to direct heat (heater, direct sunlight)
Modification instructions – specific information for medical retailers
- The ErgoPad redux hallux is deliberately designed to require very little preparatory work, thus saving time in making it ready for use by the consumer.
- The outline of the foot orthosis can be ground in a taper shape
- Easy to grind (grinding belt and pumice stone, grit 80-100)
Statistics show that men are more frequently affected by the symptoms of hallux limitus/hallux rigidus than women. The condition is more common among people over the age of 50.
The causes include various foot deformities, although the condition can also be triggered by external factors such as running on hard floors.
Before the toe becomes stiff, the metatarsophalangeal joint increasingly loses cartilage mass – i.e. an osteoarthritic change occurs. The joint is then continuously exposed to a pressure load with a strong levering effect during the heel-to-toe movement of the foot. As the condition progresses, bony outgrowths form on the joint capsule, which are susceptible to recurring and painful inflammation.
Tips for healthy feet
You can find information here about how to keep your feet in top condition!
When selecting your foot orthosis, think about the area of your life in which you wish to use it. The type of foot orthosis depends on the footwear worn. The shoe and the foot orthosis must fit together.